Friday, June 22, 2007

Parent Child Interaction Therapy/Special Time

This is from the handouts I got as I went through the steps.

special time:
We do this for 5 minutes a day and he just eats it up, but I cannot give commands, ask questions or make negative comments. The hardest part is lowering my voice at the end of statements so that the high word at the end doesn't sound like a question.

Here are the other things you need, take 2 toys that don't have any rules to use them, like playdough, drawing supplies, painting supplies, legos, lincoln logs, building blocks, train or car sets that you have to build, nothing that needs instructions or has rules. He can give you rules as long as they are fun and safe. Set them on a table in an empty room have him sit at the table and you tell him. "This is our special time, you can choose one of these two toys for us to play with. If you get up from the table, I can't play with you. If you get mean (meaning verbally or physically abusive) special time is over. (that's punishment enough for it too.)

*I just copied everything my son was doing, repeating every thing he said that wasn't annoying little noises.
*I described everything he was doing
*I Praised everything he did. I like the way you did... (just don't say "that" say exactly what he does.)
*I'm as entusiastic as possible.

You took a yellow block (describing), I'll take a yellow block too (imitation) you said you wanted me to have a blue block (reflection) I like the blue block you chose for me (labeled Praise) I'm happy we're playing together. (enthusiasm)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home